Timothy Devlin is the Managing Partner of Devlin Law Firm LLC. He was previously a Principal at Fish & Richardson PC, the largest patent litigation firm in the United States, where he served as a co-chair of their IP Risk Management Group.
Mr. Devlin is widely recognized as one of the premier patent litigators in the country. He has acted as lead counsel in over 200 patent infringement cases. Mr. Devlin is frequently listed in publications including Chambers USA, Best Lawyers USA, and the Legal 500, and has been identified among Intellectual Asset Management’s “Top-250” patent litigators worldwide every year since the inception of the list in 2011. He is a fellow in the Litigation Counsel of America, a trial lawyer honorary society whose membership is limited to less than one half of one percent of American lawyers.
Mr. Devlin’s practice is focused on representing emerging businesses, individual entrepreneurs, and operating entities in patent infringement litigation, with additional interest in the intersection of risk analysis and patent issues. Mr. Devlin has wide ranging experience representing both plaintiffs and defendants, covering virtually all types of technology, including such diverse areas as network and cellular communications, consumer electronics, semiconductor manufacturing and wafer processing, financial systems and check imaging, medical devices, chemical processes and products, network security, automotive and mechanical components, and Internet protocols.
Areas of Practice
Intellectual Property Litigation
- J.D., University of Michigan Law School, with honors, 1996
- B.S., physics, B.S., mathematics, Penn State University, with honors in Physics and Economics, 1993
Honors and Distinctions
- Chambers USA, Top Patent Litigators, 2013, Chambers and Partners
- The Best Lawyers in America, 2006-2013
- The Legal 500 United States, Patent Litigation, 2011
- Top 250 Patent Litigators Worldwide, 2011-2013, International Asset Management Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America
- District of Columbia
- New York
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- Rembrandt Vision Technologies LP v. Ciba Vision Corporation; Civil Action No. 2:05cv491 (E.D. Tex.) — Represented plaintiff Rembrandt in patent infringement case related to contact lenses. Successfully obtained verdict of infringement and validity, with significant past damages.
- Deep Nines, Inc. v. McAfee, Inc. and Secure Computing Corporation; Civil Action No. 9:09cv89 (E.D. Tex.) — Represented plaintiff Deep Nines in patent infringement case related to enterprise-level firewalls and internet security. Successfully obtained verdict of infringement and validity.
- Worldwide Express Operations LLC, et al. v. DHL Express (USA) Inc., DC-08-15314 (Dall.) — Represented plaintiff WWE in contract action against DHL. Successfully obtained verdict of breach of contract.
- ADE Corporation v. KLA-Tencor Corporation; Civil Action No. 1:00cv892 (D. Del.) — Represented defendant ADE in patent infringement case related to optical quality scanning of semiconductor wafers. Successfully obtained verdict of invalidity.