Alex Chan is a Senior Associate at Devlin Law Firm LLC. He was previously an associate at Fish & Richardson, P.C. and Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld, LLP, among others.
Mr. Chan has extensive plaintiff and defense experience in patent, copyright, and trade secret litigation in U.S. federal courts, Patent Trial and Appeal Board, and the International Trade Commission. His practice involves a wide range of technologies, including semiconductor devices and fabrication, video and wireless standards, computer hardware and software, data and network encryption, optical communications, and medical devices.
Areas of Practice
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Trade Secrets Litigation
- J.D., Franklin Pierce Law Center, 2010
- M.S., Electrical Engineering, Columbia University, 2002
- B.S., Electrical Engineering, University of California, Davis, 2001
- New York University, 1998
Honors and Distinctions
- “Rising Star,” Super Lawyers Magazine, 2016-2019
- “IAM Strategy 300,” Intellectual Asset Management Magazine, 2019
- “On The Rise” Top 40 Lawyer, American Bar Association, 2018
- “IP Trailblazer in Intellectual Property,” The National Law Journal, 2016
- “40 under 40,” Silicon Valley Business Journal, 2016
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Texas
- Unites States Patent & Trademark Office (Reg. No. 52,713)
* Attorney is not barred in Delaware
- Co-Chair, Minority Trial Lawyer Committee, American Bar Association (2018-Present)
- Appointed Member, Committee of the Bar Examiners, The State Bar of California (2017–Present)
- Fellow, American Bar Association, Law Practice Division (2017–Present)
- Executive Member, Intellectual Property Law Section Executive Committee, State Bar of California (now known as California Lawyers Association) (2016–Present)
- Co-Chair, Intellectual Property Section, American Bar Association — YLD (2016–2017)
Selected Articles and Presentations:
- Alex Chan, “Everything You Need to Know About Foreign Patent Damages,” New Matter, Official Publication of the Intellectual Property Law Section of California Lawyers Association, Sept. 2018.
- Alex Chan, “WesternGeco: Patent Damages Know No Borders,” Daily Journal, Jun. 25, 2018.
- Alex Chan, “Foreign Patent Damages: A Look Back And A Look Ahead,” Law360, Jun. 24, 2018.
- Alex Chan, “A Look At The On-Sale Bar: Part 2—Best Business Practices,” Law360, Nov. 29, 2016.
- Alex Chan, “A Look At The On-Sale Bar: Part 1—The Helsinn Debate,” Law360, Nov. 28, 2016.
- Alex Chan, “Patent Venue Then and Now: Forum Shopping About to Change,” Law360, Jan. 21, 2016.
- Alex Chan, “An Overview, a Summary, and an Update to the Latest Patent Reform,” Intellectual Property & Technology Law J., Sept. 1, 2015.
- Alex Chan, “Second Chance or No Chance,” Bloomberg BNA, Aug. 7, 2015.
- Alex Chan, “Defending Against Inducement Claims Post-Commil,” Law360, Jul. 15, 2015.
- Kevin McBride and Alex Chan, “But I believe the Patent is Invalid!,” Daily Journal, Apr. 20, 2015.
Media Mentions and Speaker Engagements
- Moderator/Speaker, “Developing Our Next Generation of Litigators: Creating Opportunities for Courtroom Experience,” ABA Section of Litigation Annual Conference, New York City, May 3, 2019.
- Moderator, Webinar: “Practical Impact of SCOTUS’ Decision in Helsinn v. Teva on Secret Sales,” California Lawyers Association, Intellectual Property Law Section, Feb. 25, 2019.
- “Fed. Circ. Suggests AIA May Not Have Weakened On-Sale Bar,” Law360, May 3, 2017.
- “East Texas Patent Docket Could be Grounded by Federal Circuit,” Law360, Mar. 9, 2016.
- Speaker, “Artificial Intelligence Intellectually Disrupts Patent Litigation,” Artificial Intelligence Startups Conference, San Francisco, May 25, 2016.
- Moderator, “E-Discovery: Tips, Tricks, and Trends for Civil Litigator,” Austin Bench Bar Conference, Apr. 15, 2016.